Chromebook Use Policies and Procedures for secondary Students
In order to create a collaborative learning environment for our students, the Newman-Crows Landing Unified School District is providing every student with a Chromebook to use in the classrooms. This environment will allow teachers to implement transformative uses of technology in order to increase student engagement with content. The use of technology in the classroom will transform students into life-long learners and into producers of information.
The Chromebook device is property of NCLUSD. Students will use technology for educational activities. The supplied device will provide each student access to educational materials needed for each student to be successful. The Chromebook allows student access to Google Apps for Education and other web-based tools and websites. The device is an educational tool which should not be used for gaming or social networking.
A Chromebook will be issued to each student when the parent has given permission by agreeing to the terms and conditions set forth in NCLUSD Technology Acceptable Use and Google Apps for Education Agreements on Infosnap during registration for the new school year. In addition, parents must also submit the Device Accidental Damage Warranty form, whether they are purchasing coverage or not.
Student Use and Care of the Chromebook
Students are responsible for the general care of the Chromebook issued to them. The student should only use the Chromebook issued to them. Chromebooks that are broken or fail to work properly will be taken care of by following established procedures. The student may be issued a replacement Chromebook until his/her Chromebook repair is completed.Chromebooks that are broken or fail to work properly will be taken care of by following established procedures. The student may be issued a replacement Chromebook until his/her Chromebook repair is completed.
General Care Guidelines:
- Handle your Chromebook with care and keep it in a safe place.
- Do not expose Chromebook to extreme temperatures.
- Do not place anything heavy on your Chromebook.
- When not in use, keep your Chromebook in your backpack, preferably in a sleeve or a laptop pocket.
- Keep food and liquids away from your Chromebook.
- Chromebooks must always have all district-assigned tags on the case. Tags must not be removed or altered in any way. Do not add any other stickers or tags.
- If necessary, transport Chromebooks with care when moving around.
- Chromebook lids should always be closed and tightly secured when moving.
- Never lift a Chromebook by lifting from the screen. Always support from its bottom.
- Do not poke or scratch the screen with anything that will damage the screen surface.
- Do not place anything on the keyboard before closing the lid.
- If necessary, dust the screen only with a soft, dry microfiber cloth or anti-static cloth. Do not use any cleaning solvents.
- Always bring your Chromebook fully charged to school.
Network Access and Password
- A Google Apps for Education password will be issued to each student for Chromebook log in access.
- Take care to protect your password. Do not share your password with anyone.
- If a student must have their password reset, please have the teacher contact Datapath to reset the password.
- Any use of inappropriate media on the Chromebooks will follow with disciplinary actions as outlined in the Student Conduct Code.
- Students should always log out of their account when Chromebook is not in use.
Use of Audio/Video
- Students must not listen to audio or watch video unless permission is obtained from the teacher for instructional purposes.
- Be polite when sending messages.
- Use appropriate language.
- Always practice safe digital citizenship guidelines and do not reveal any personal information.
- All email sent and received through a district device is not guaranteed to be private.
- Report to your teacher any misuse of technology.